Sunday 16 March 2014

Soooo, I haven't updated this in nearly a year! Oops.

Granted I have been fairly busy and haven't perhaps done as much 40k as I'd like to, but I've certainly remedied that over the last couple of months, I've created a brand new 2000pt army! Of Space Marines and Tau.

With a Dark Mechanicus theme.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dark Mechanicus - The Imperial Fist/Farsight Enclave way

Yeah, so this list uses the Imperial Fist chapter tactics in the Space Marine codex, rather than the 'Sentinels of Terra' Imperial Fist supplement, mainly because I wanted to get the shield eternal on my HQ, as he is essentially a wound-soak (though I might have to put an inquisitor in to take over warlord duties if I keep doing that!). This is along with a tiny allied contingent of Tau using the Farsight list, and the Vengeance Weapons Batteries.

I wanted to use the rules for Centurions, and with them, make a footslogging list; I chose IF for the chapter tactic as it not only buffs my Centurions and Devastators, but helps to mitigate the poor BS of the rank-and-file troops I've chosen (scouts). Sentinels of Terra would be better for that at close range, but I don't really want them to be in close range!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First up, the commander.

Not a whole lot of GW parts going on here...
 This guy is one I may revisit to tidy up a bit, he doesn't look quite 'finished' enough to me, but I got fed up trying to fix him so he's just going to fight as is for now! He's made out of a Warmachine (traitors!) Battle Mechanik Officer from the Khador range, with a mantic forgefather head with horns attached, a beastmen minotaur shield and a bloodletter's sword from the juggernaut box!

Behind him we can see these guys

Assault Centurions

The drillbits are made from a plasterboard wrawl plug thing trimmed slightly, I feel they capture the oversize nature of 40k weaponry nicely!

The glowing cables are a piece of a children's craft set, I don't know what it's meant to be for but it sure brings the early-90s-action-figure feel to the table!
I'm pretty pleased with these guys, especially as they are made from none other than the much-maligned Minotaur kit, which is actually a decent scuplt. Except for the feet; whoever made the feet needs to be slapped with a cloven hoof, because they look so much better when they match the rest of the model's aesthetic. I gave it a shot, but I'm no sculptor! If someone put out a set of feet for the minotaur kit, they'd be a great set of models.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So those were the Assault Centurions, logically we now go to...

Centurion Devestators

Yeah, it's a cow made out of a juggernaut. 

Gun cows! With grav cannons and hurricane bolters obviously. Their guns are made from necron bits, and the sergeant of each squad has the ML/twin-linked lascannon option instead. 

2 squads of three is what I've got. Huge points sink, but should be a laugh.

These were the models that kicked off the whole thing, I wanted to make a gunbeast type thing, and a backwards juggernaut is what I used! The rest of the army followed suit (largely) with the bovine feel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Devastators

These are the only guys in power armour in the whole list, and they aren't wearing any. Instead they're bestigors with forgefather heads and guns!

Not the smoothest conversion on the rocket launchers, but close enough. Lots of flakk anyhow!

Carried on the purple flesh so they look like the same force, but kept their heads helmeted to keep the daemon faces on the more 'monstrous' elements of the army. 


In game these guys will generally split into two combat squads and sit there firing out flakk missiles to keep the heldrakes and vendettas away.

If they decide to stay as a 10 man unit they'll almost certainly be joined by the Ethereal from the allied Tau detachment, who will hand out night vision goggles (blacksun filter!)
Ethereal > Charioteer? Who's to say what the better career is. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Troops - scouts

To keep it cheap, and because the models I wanted to use didn't quite qualify for power armour in my book, I've taken 3 squads of 8 scouts as troops (8 for Khorne... purple... ranged combat Khorne). 

This is the close combat squad, 8 scouts with a sergeant with power lance (he'll be dead in round 2 of combat anyway, he might as well be good for the first one!).

And two squads of bolter scouts with a heavy bolter, all hoping that the Imperial Fist reroll will make them slightly less awful than they are. 
I have to say though that the Mantic Forgefather models are far better than I expected them to be. I still think privateer press are lame, but Mantic have gone up in my estimation. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allies & Extras - 

Crisis Suits 
Yup, crisis suits.
These guys are made from Vargheists/crypt horrors with minotaur arms with a bit of tubing on the end to resemble their flamers. That's right, these three crisis suits are equipped only with 2 flamers each and the hit and run thingy. They drop in, burn something and run away, that is their job! 

Vengeance Weapons
I didn't think 4 rocket launchers would be enough AA at 2000pts, so I make these out of a laser-quest target and a head-lamp (that you wear on your head, not for the car, duh). 
The guns are magnetised if I feel like switching them out for something, but I think I'll probably be keeping the lascannons!
Last but not least, the reason I brought the Tau along in the first place was to get a Riptide in the list! 

Beast Riptide
Basically he's fucking huge. 

Definitely got that action figure feel again! His breastplate and thigh greaves (are they greaves? I don't know...) are actually from an action figure, as is the big cannon. 

Lots of Juggernaut, Ghorgon (obviously) and chaos chariot parts in here.

I'm really pleased with this guy, he's a great centerpiece. I expect everyone to try and kill him immediately though!
The riptide took forever, purely on trying to find bits that fitted (his 'jetpack' is part of a model plane). Its been a long time since I painted anything that large, he does feel a bit toy like. I look forward to getting my hands on an Imperial Knight soon enough (hell, he could stand in for one in the meantime). 

I've still got to finish the bases off, putting some finer sand in the gaps left by the chunky gravel I've used, and begin the thankless task of finding a way of transporting them that isn't a shoebox they'll break to pieces inside. 

Still experimenting with the photography, there may be a return to previous styles next time, need to see what works best with new gear. 

So that's it, that's what I've done so far in 2014! 

Next time, Genestealer Cult Space Marines - Crimson Slaughter Edition! 

No comments:

Post a Comment