Sunday 3 February 2013

Supermarines Stormtalon

Now, don't get me wrong, some of the Space Marine vehicles have a great aesthetic. But GW's "flying brick that resembles a fish" didn't really do it for me.

 Had the Dark Angels codex yielded a decent flyer I might well have counted the Supermarines as DA, but as it stands, only the Stormtalon(guppy) is air-worthy - and I knew I wanted to field one - so vanilla 'dex it is! However, there is no way I'd fork out for the official model, so here's my interpretation:


Zooooooom

As you can see, I've gone for a more plane-like look, though I still think it's retained the SM look and feel, as it uses only the drop pod kit, a bike faring from the Dark Vengeance set, a tank commander body, an IG turret ring and some assault cannons. Pretty cheap!

Not a fish, brick or fishbrick

I have yet to acquire a suitable canopy, that's still to come - don't worry, the space marine won't have his bald head out in the high-altitude forever.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a bastardised drop pod.


I've also got some orange plastic to melt into flame effects for the engines - that's coming soon. When that's done and a couple of final touches applied I'll take some better pictures.

The typhoon missile launcher on top and the TL assault cannon are both magnetised so I can switch loadouts (and even use it as the Nephelim/Darkthingy if I so wish).

All in all, it didn't take very long and I'm fairly pleased with it. Best of all, I can make three from two drop pod kits (+ other parts and weapons), so I'll be doing a couple more in the future!

N.B. apologies for the crappy pictures, I didn't use my usual lighting set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment